Little Tikes has issued a voluntary recall on 1.6 million toy workshops and trucks after a toddler choked on a plastic nail. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said the recall covers five toy models sold by Little Tikes as far back as March 1994. The problem involves the bright blue and red plastic nails that accompanied the Hudson, Ohio-based company’s Electronic Project Workshop, the Home Improvements Two-sided Workshop, the Little Handiworker Workhorse, the Black Pickup Truck with Tools and the Swirlin’ Sawdust Workshop. The toys were sold by major retailers such as Toys R Us and the Little Tikes’ online store at
www.littletikes.com from $25 to $100. Consumers are asked to take the toy nails away from their children immediately and contact Little Tikes for a free replacement.
Little Tikes stated the toys were intended for children ages two and older. The child who swallowed the toy part, however, was only eleven months old. The plastic nail, which is about 3 ¼ inches long by 1 ¼ inches in diameter, became forcefully lodged in the child’s throat; he was hospitalized and made a full recovery. While some products are no longer sold by the company, the toys may have been handed down to new owners or sold at garage sales. Little Tikes realizes they must do everything possible to ensure the safety of all children who come in contact with the products, no matter their age.
The CPSC says they are interested in receiving incident and injury reports that are either directly related to the recall or involve a different problem with the same product.